It’s that time of year when layering is a necessity, and for the longest time, I thought vests were so impractical. Why would someone layer with a vest when it only covered half of their upper body?
Now after 6+ years living in Denver as a personal stylist, I’m a firm believer in a stylish OR functional vest as go-to’s in the fall and winter months. I picked up my first puffer vest this past spring, and though it still feels rather sporty for my personal style, it’s an option I love styling.
In this article, I’m sharing 6 ways to style a vest. You’ll find both my olive green cargo vest and navy puffer vest included in the examples below!
1. Layer a basic short or long-sleeve tee with a cargo or puffer vest and add a silky neck scarf or blanket scarf.
2. Dress down a seasonal dress with a cargo or puffer vest.
3. Layer a short or long-sleeve denim dress with a long-sleeve cardigan, roll up the sleeves, and add a puffer or cargo vest.
4. Layer a turtleneck with a puffer or cargo vest. Here, I’ve combined two colors close to each other on the color wheel, teal and olive green. This is also known as colorblocking.
5. On a cold day, layer a sweater with a puffer vest and add a colorful scarf (stripes and floral play particularly well together!).
6. Layer a basic short-sleeve tee with a plaid long-sleeve shirt and add a cargo or puffer vest.
Curious what colors you should pick up in a puffer vest? I recommend navy, light grey, or maroon as most versatile this time of year. An olive green in a cargo vest is also an incredibly versatile color!
What are some of YOUR favorite ways to style a vest? Share below!