I had a breakthrough this past fall. I found my first high-rise jean, and it was unlike anything I’ve experienced. I was so excited about my discovery that I appointed myself as the unofficial high-waisted jean spokesperson. I’d bring it up to clients only to hear, “you mean mom jeans?”
I convinced a few to at least TRY a high-waisted jean and soon discovered the many perks to wearing a high-waist style in a pant. You see, up until this point, I had assumed a high-waisted jean wasn’t flattering on my body type. And technically, it isn’t. But with the right fit, it can do wonders. Curious? Read on!
1. The biggest and most IMPORTANT reason - a high-waisted jean accentuates your waistline! Accentuating your waistline as a woman is one of the most flattering things you can do for your shape, no matter your size or body type.
2. A high-waisted jean will smooth and suck in. Yes, that’s right. A structured style in a high-waisted jean can serve the same purpose as your spanks. Goodbye muffin top!
3. A high-waisted jean looks amazing with a front-tuck in a top. Feeling lost in a shapeless blouse? Try tucking it in at just the front of the jean. It’ll do wonders for your shape and you’ll be hooked (it’s happened to more than one of my Style Shop Denver clients!).
4. A high-waisted jean creates curves. WOAH NELLY. What if you don’t need any extra curves on the bottom half of your body? With the right top, you’ll love the way you feel. A high-waisted jean is traditionally one of the sexiest styles in a jean because it creates hourglass curves between your waist and hips. As long as you create balance on the top half of your body, you can pull it off no matter your body type.
5. A high-waisted jean will lengthen your legs. A high-waisted jean continues the line in your leg and creates the illusion of longer legs!
6. A high-waisted jean prevents the “cracken’” when bending over (thanks Urban Dictionary!). You can rest easy when bending over without relying on a long blouse.
7. A high-waisted jean allows you to wear shorter, cropped styles in a top. Let’s face it, it’s not always easy to find long, fitted blouses. You’ll have a lot more flexibility in a top when you wear a high-waisted jean!
8. A high-waisted jean will sit at the waist without gaping in the back. Of course, it differs from style to style, but I find WAY more jeans that fit at the waist in a high-rise than I did in a mid or low-rise.
9. A high-waisted jean will instantly elevate your look. As long as you get a style that fits (more on that below), you’ll modernize your wardrobe by simply updating your denim collection.
10. A high-waisted jean works for any age. You can be a woman in her 70’s in a classic dark-wash, high-rise jean or a highschooler in an edgy, distressed high-rise jean.
Please keep the following points in mind when shopping for a high-rise jean:
- Depending on the length of your torso, a mid-rise jean may fit you like a high-rise jean! You want the rise of the jean to hit you at the narrowest point of your waist. Some high-rises are more dramatic than others (closer to your bust than your hips), but go with a style that's comfortable.
- If you have a short torso, wearing a top tucked into a high-rise jean may shrink you! You can always buy a high-rise jean and wear a long blouse over it to keep the length in your torso.
- Try it and keep trying! It took me a while to find my first pair, and I’m so glad I kept searching. Now I won’t buy anything BUT high-waisted jeans!
- If you’re wider on the bottom than the top (like me), create balance with a slim or straight leg in a high-rise jean rather than a skinny leg. The straight leg will continue the line from your waist and de-emphasize the change in width from your waistline to your hips and thighs! All the images in this blog post showcase a straight leg in a jean.
Not sure if a high-rise jean can work for YOUR body type? Check out the way petite blogger Alison Gary with Wardrobe Oxygen styled her pair of high-rise jeans!
Did you find this helpful? What is YOUR experience with high-rise jeans? Leave a comment below with ONE thing you enjoy about the high-rise jean trend!